Around the month of September 1935, José Clemente Orozco arrived at the city of Guadalajara in order to fulfill the commitment acquired with the Government of the State of Jalisco, consisting of the execution of three mural paintings. The first would be painted in the present-day Hall of the University of Guadalajara, the second, over the main staircase of the Government Palace, and the third, on the Greater Chapel of present-day Cabañas Cultural Institute (building appointed World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997).
For the lapse of almost four years that this monumental task took him, Orozco lived permanently in the city of Guadalajara. He only interrupted his stay to make a trip to New York on February 1936, and the visits to his family in Mexico City.
During said lapse, between the end of 1935 and 1939, the prominent Jalisciense muralist changed his residence on at least four occasions, specified in the following list:
– On his arrival, he lodged for a few days at the “Casa Morales” hotel, close to the railway station.
– Afterward, he was accommodated at the house of one of his collaborators, the also painter León Muñiz, located at 242 Langloix St (in present-day Colonia Americana), where, on the instructions of engineer Heliodoro Rojas, then Director of Public Works of the State, a room and bathroom were built expressly to lodge the famous painter;
– Later, motivated by the desires to remain self-reliant and to avoid inconveniencing his hosts, José Clemente Orozco left the Muñiz household and lodged at the Roma Hotel, located at Juárez Avenue, downtown; and,
– Finally, during the first trimester of 1938 (probably between February and March), he moved to his Workshop-Dormitory at López Cotilla St, which he inhabited for less than two years, until 1939.